Sunday, October 22, 2017

Leih hou!

Well this week is my first week in Hong Kong! The plane ride here was so long!! 17 hours of just straight flying. when I got off the plane I couldn't find one of my bags until one of the baggage reclaim fellas came up to me and said they had lost it and would get it back as soon as possible. it was way hard for me to understand what he was saying because he was speaking chinglish. And every where people were speaking cantonese. I thought I had learned this language in the MTC but I didn't understand any of it! It was insane!

Well the first two nights we stayed in a really nice hotel! The first food that I had was their breakfast and that was amazing! In Hong Kong they have all these insanely good breads. There are thousands of diffferent kinds of breads that are all amazing and smell better than any bakery that I have been in in Utah!

The second day here we went on temporary splits to go our finding. And when we did this my first thoughts were I am completely lost!! the city is so freaking big! The buildings here all have more than 50 floors which is insane! I asked the person who I was on temporary splits with how long it took him to get to know his way around and he said this to me, "it took me a long time and even now I get lost a lot and sometimes your trainer will even get lost" So that just kind of explains how big the city is and how many people there are here.

We got our companions the next day. My companion is Elder Henrichsen! he is a really cool guy and really nice! We have been getting along really well! I enjoy him alot! He is from washington and will to to Utah state when he gets back! He likes video games which is really cool! Our apartment is on the 28th floor of a building in Yuen Long (Yuen Long is our area) and the apartments are really small. From my apartment you can see mainland china and the huge city right across the boader! There are 4 missionaries in our apartment and the other two are Elder Stober and Elder Adams. Elder Adams is from my MTC group which has been really helpful to me because I have someone I know in our room!

The people in hong kong are ALWAYS busy! They hardly have time to stop. When we go finding it is really hard to get people to listen to us because they never have time. And everyone here is addicted to there phones. In the trains nearly 70% of the 800000 people that are squished into the trains have their ear phones in and are watching something on their brand new Iphone! The people here are alos really random... we would go out finding and there would be people stretching and doing yoga out side while swinging some swords around. There was this one person who took his pet turtle on a walk in a park which was funny. And everyone here has really nice cars. you will be walking down the street and see about 5 Teslas in a row all parked. The most common cars I see here are: Teslas, porches, BMWs, Ferarris, and the ocassional Lambourgini. So people here like their cars.

Other than that I have been really overwhelmed with everything. There is always something going on and it is really busy! Today we are going to go see the 10000 buddhas which will be really cool so you guys will probably see pictures of that next monday!

The language here is really hard! I went to church and understood probably about 5% of the 4 hours i was there! Most people here are good with the language after about 7 months. my companino has been here for over a year and is really good a the language and he is now leanring the characters. Here you have the chance to learn like 3 or 4 languages: spoken cantonese, traditional characters, simplified characters, chinese sign language, and a little bit of mandarin. I plan on learning the characters and maybe a little sign language but for now I want to focus on being able to speak cantonese first which will take me a while!

Please email me about anything! well I have hardly any time to email you guys! I love you all pleae email me about anything

Gu jeunlouh
(PICTURES:  I don't have enough time to explain each picture)










No comments:

Post a Comment